Tuesday, December 23, 2008

1994: The Year Of The Rangers

This just happens to be the 1,994th post upon this very blog, and so of course I had to do something to once again commemorate that most magical of all years in sports: 1994.

One story about June 14, 1994 that I don't think I've ever mentioned here before involved a co-worker of mine at the bank. He and I weren't buddies, by any stretch of the imagination, but we knew each other, and I knew that he had a cousin on the 1993/94 version of the Rangers. We had talked a few times over the course of that season and playoffs, but that was about it.

After Game 7 had happened, and I was still on Cloud 9 (and would be for days), he stopped by my desk to tell me that he'd actually been lucky enough to attend the game, thanks to his family connection! I was incredibly impressed, of course, but then I said, "So... any chance you brought me anything back from the game? I don't mean something you'd have had to pay for, but even a gum wrapper from the floor... anything that I could put in a shrine and say, 'This was at that game!'"

Sadly, though, he had nothing for me. I'm sure if he'd really appreciated how much it would've meant to me, he'd have grabbed something at the game, or at least made something up after the fact. Hell, lint from his pocket would've been enough to thrill me! I'd never have known for sure if it actually had been there, but I would've believed with all my heart that it had been, just the same!

In case you want to re-read some older posts on this same exciting topic, you've got lots of choices available, including this, this and this. No need to thank me... it's all part of the service, after all!

No comments: