Friday, December 19, 2008

Burned Out On Competitive Play

I was up past 3:00 a.m. again last night, playing Resistance 2, and may've finally burned myself out on the crazy (and often frustrating) realities of ranked Competitive play. The following are just a few of the things that have pushed me to the brink:
  • I'm clearly not a good player, compared to many of the other regulars (most of them under the age of 25, as far as I can tell)
  • No matter where I spawn, it seems like there's about a 33% chance that someone else will spawn right behind me a few seconds later, resulting in me being killed before I can even turn around and start firing
  • If I get into a straight-up, head-to-head battle with someone else, the most likely outcome is that he kills me; 2nd most likely is that someone else kills us both; 3rd most likely is that we both kill each other; and then, every once in awhile, I actually get to record a kill without dying
  • Other players seem to know some great gaming techniques that I'm completely ignorant of, as they're able to kill me in about half as many shots as it takes me to kill them (no matter what the weapon, or where I shoot them - including in the head)
  • I can either play to rack up XP, or I can play to improve my kill-to-death ratio, but I can't do both (and the odd one out always suffers)... and sometimes I even fail at pulling off either!
So I think I'll go back to Cooperative play for awhile, as well as finishing off the Single Player Campaign. I was definitely getting more enjoyment out of both those aspects of the game than I've managed from Competitive. If I get the urge to play Competitive again in the near future, I might try the unranked matches, as I think you get a wider range of skill level there (making it less depressing for those of us in the lower end of that spectrum).

No comments: