Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Rate Your Marriage's Chances

Thanks to the Freakonomics blog, I came across this quick calculator that asks you a very small number of questions relating to your marriage and then tells you, demographically-speaking, the percentage of "People with similar backgrounds who are already divorced" and then projects the percentage of "People with similar backgrounds who will be divorced over the next five years". When I put in my data, the results were 22% and 6%, respectively. When I filled it in as Vicki, her results were 20% and 8%, respectively (so, better overall but worse in the next 5 years!). I'm not sure what it does with people who've been married multiple times (do they count as "already divorced" forever, or only until they hook up with their next future ex-?) but I definitely found it interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, a 1 in 5 chance isn't very encouraging! Nasty high divorce rates.