Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Legs! Not My Legs!

Two nights ago, I had a very disturbing experience: I noticed that the calves on both legs had become noticeably flabby! That might not have been such a big deal a decade ago, but after 5 or 6 years of regular cycling, I'd gotten used to fairly muscular - i.e. tight! - leg muscles down there. I didn't at all appreciate finding that I now have packets of fat in their place that shake like Jello when touched!

In past years, I'd staved off this development over the winter by either riding a stationary bike or climbing the 8 or 9 flights of stairs to my work cube each morning. Since I haven't been doing either of those activities over the past month and a bit, I guess that it's no wonder my legs have lost most of their tone. Before things get any worse, though, I've started running up and down our stairs here in the house: 20 trips up (and back down) times 10 stairs each way seems close enough to what I used to do at the office that I should be able to reclaim my legs... it says here.

The real test will come when April rolls around and I try biking downtown again. That's been a non-event in recent years, but in 2009... who knows?

No comments: