Monday, December 15, 2008

How Could I Resist A Package Like This?

Wildstorm, a previously-independent comic book publisher that's been owned by DC Comics since just before the dawn of the 21st century, doesn't have many titles that I follow anymore. Ex Machina is a notable exception (although it's going to be ending sometime in 2009 by the sounds of it) and Top 10, when it occasionally comes out, springs from Wildstorm. At one point, when Alan Moore was there, cranking out several ongoing titles under the umbrella name of "ABC Comics", Wildstorm was a popular stop for me each month. Since then, not so much.

But lately Wildstorm has taken to doing titles based on video games and other genre favourites, such that Gears of War, Mirror's Edge, World of Warcraft and even The X-Files currently populate their pages. That's all well and good, but not even all that interesting to me, until I heard that they were also doing a Resistance mini-series!

Now, it may end up being crap. But on the strength of my love of the two games in the franchise alone, I'll pick up # 1 when it comes out in January. If it's even half-decent, I'm probably go along for the whole 6-part ride. I can't help it: I just love the story of Resistance, and getting to see it explored in comic book form sounds like too good of an opportunity to pass up... unless it's really dreadful (which it could be, considering that I don't recognize any of the talent involved). Who doesn't love an alternate history tale about aliens taking over the Earth in the 1940s and 50s? I'll tell you who: a person in a coma, that's who! To the rest of us, it's a rare treat that should be enjoyed every day, for as many hours as your poor, aging body can handle!

1 comment:

Boneman8 said...

FYI, my special edition of Resistance 2 contains Issue #0 of the Resistance Comic on DVD (or rather, Blu Ray).

I would figure that this is somewhat related...