Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Cue The Holiday Slowdown

For the first time that I can remember, I've gone into the Christmas/New Year's season with no particular excitement over "getting a break." Whether it was school that I was glad to get away from for a couple of weeks, or a brief respite from work, for forty years now there has always been that unmistakable feeling of "Whew!" that came this time of year.

This year, of course, I've already enjoyed nearly five months of semi-vacation-like rest before this week even rolled around. I still hear the same relief in others' voices as they talk about their plans for this week and next, but for me it's actually a bit of an inconvenience that we've arrived at holiday season. Why? Well, they're all purely selfish reasons, but they'd include increased traffic on the roads in the middle of the day (normally a great time to be driving, if you have to venture out at all), fewer interesting posts to read on the World Wide Webcicle, and very little TV fare that isn't of the re-run variety, to name but a few.

Therefore, in my best Ebenezer Scrooge voice, I'd just like to say: I can't wait for the rest of you to get back to work in January! Bah, humbug indeed! :-)

No comments: