Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Up At An Ungodly Hour, Almost Like A Workday!

I was actually awake (for good) before 7:00 a.m. this morning, despite not going to bed until after 1:00 a.m. By 7:30 I'd decided to just go ahead and get up, since it didn't seem like I was going to fall back asleep. I guess all those nights of 8 or 9 hours of sleep recently have caught up to me and I was able to be refreshed with less than 6 hours last night!

Today I'm hooking up with a couple of friends downtown for lunch and then heading to a meeting with someone who owns a consulting company (and who has found Vicki a contract position in the past). My dilemma, and what probably got me up so early this morning, is figuring out what type of work I'd even want to do at this point! Would I really want to do some programming (since it would just be contract work anyway)? If so, then Java, or back to legacy mainframe (CICS Cobol), which apparently there are still lots of companies using? I can't help but think that I'm woefully unprepared for either, after having not written code professionally for the past six years.

So would I be better off trying to get something related to Agile or project management in general? At least that's more current as far as recent experience of mine, but also probably more limited in terms of what's available as non-permanent work opportunities.

On the bright side, it's not like I desperately need to find something right now, so at least I can (for the moment) afford to be picky about what I'd pursue. Given the economic situation, that's a very good position to be in... as there may be very little out there to choose from in the first place!

No comments: