Monday, November 27, 2006

Does Reading My Blog Actually Make You Smarter?

Well, I suppose I could argue that simply choosing to read my blog says something about your intelligence relative to those who don't, but that's not where I'm going with this. I got thinking about some of the topics that I post about, whether it be sports trivia, or comics history, or pop culture references, and then started wondering if any of it would ever prove helpful in Life. I'm not sure, for example, if knowing more trivial actually makes you smarter, but I do believe that it often has the effect of making you look smarter!

Imagine, for example, that PeterJ was engaged in a conversation with someone at work, and they happen to say, "Hey, what's up with comics and their wacky numbering systems? I used to collect Daredevil when I was a kid but now I see there's a DD run that's even lower in issue numbers than when I was buying it! How's that even possible?" And then of course PeterJ would proceed to explain how comic publishers used to try hard to maintain the high numbering, but nowadays # 1's sell best so they're always looking for excuses to restart older series. He'd look like a bloody genius, wouldn't he??!!

Or just picture Jimmy Hinckley, in the middle of a design review with his peers. The talk turns to how best to introduce some interactive TV-related APIs into a set of standards dominated by cell phone interests, to which Jimmy wisely intones, "Charlie don't surf!" and no one can deny the sage wisdom imparted through this excellent and oh-so-applicable channeling of Lt. Colonel Kilgore.

And really, when you get right down to it, who among us wouldn't like to at least give the appearance of being smarter? :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I STILL don't understand how to use Charlie Don't Surf correctly.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

... and that's why all the other kids laugh at you, honey!

Anonymous said...

lol - sad when the comments are so good!

Anonymous said...

Many thanks.