Sunday, November 19, 2006

Comics All Read; And A Bit Of History

I did a blitz of comic reading yesterday and earlier today, and evaporated my unread pile which had been growing for the last few weeks. I have a comic-related book (Scott McCloud's Making Comics) that I plan to start reading any hour now. That's in addition to the two novels I have on the go, but at least I don't have an Agile book underway currently.

Just finished reading a fun article about Brad Meltzer and Mike San Giacomo visiting Superman creator Jerry Siegel's home in Cleveland, Ohio. Shame on the officials in Cleveland for failing, continually, to commemorate their part in the history of the original superhero. At least Canada takes pride in our contribution: Joe Shuster, co-creator with Siegel of the Man of Steel, was born in and spent his first 9 years in Toronto before his family moved to Cleveland. And the newspaper that Clark Kent originally worked at in the comics was The Daily Star, believed to have been based on The Toronto Star. Eventually the comics changed the paper's name to... you know it: The Daily Planet.

No comments: