Saturday, November 25, 2006

A Few Recent Dreams

A couple nights ago I had a very vivid dream in which Vicki was piloting a small plane that I was on. We were going to somewhere in the States, I think Phoenix, AZ, and somehow she knew how to get us there in under an hour. I don't remember exactly what the trick was she used (and I'm sure it would be complete scientific gibberish outside of the dream) but I do know that at one point there was a huge wall of water above us, although we hadn't gone underwater or anything like that. I just recall this crystal clear impression of the very high wall of water, like an impossibly tall tidal wave, and that I was worried Vicki was going to accidentally hit it with the plane. When we finally got to wherever we were going (Phoenix?), we landed safely but then she wouldn't let me get off the plane because she had to first call some phone number that would put her in touch with a shady guy who could supply the details on how to get into the country without being arrested. I kept asking her why we didn't just fly to an airport and go through Immigration but she looked at me like I was the dumbest thing since Reality TV. Those were the highlights (I don't recall if we ever got off the plane).

Last night one of my dreams was about our swimming pool. In the dream, we actually had two pools: one in the front yard and one in the back yard (in the real world, we only have the one.. in the back, where you'd expect it). Anyway, the gist of the dream seemed to be that I'd forgotten about the one in the back and hadn't run the pump for it for days, which meant the water was going to be in pretty bad shape when we removed the solar blanket (and we know this from experience, having left the pump off for a 4-day period our first week in the house... only to turn the water bright green!) So in the dream I was scrambling around, trying to turn the pump on, but I couldn't remember where it was! I was checking hoses and lines everywhere, but they always took me back to where I started, with no pump in sight. Eventually I found the shed that housed the pump and all of the other pool equipment, but the light in it wasn't working so I had to fumble around in the dark. It turned into one of those deals where you have to keep moving forward but can't see what you're stepping into, on, or over... and of course the shed was impossible big on the inside, like a tesseract (or, for the Dr Who fans, a TARDIS!) I don't know how that dream ended, but I do know that when I awoke from it, I was very concerned about our pool pump (despite the fact that we closed our pool two months ago) and it took me a minute or two to get clear in my head that our pool was closed, and the pump was in our pool room which is well-lit and not anything like the creepy shed in my dream. That was a pretty cool transitory experience, being awake for a few minutes but still almost stuck back in the dream.

Tammy posted a dream experience on my blog recently, but put it as a Comment to a comic post (she's funny that way), so here it is in case anyone missed it:

"So I guess I must have had Heroes on the brain because I dreamed I had superpowers and was being held with other children (I seemed to be around 10 in the dream) who had special abilities. The people holding us weren't sure what my power was, so they would try and test me by getting me to display them (they seemed to be certain i had telepathy). But then they realized that whenever I went into a room all the lights would burn out. So I obviously had some kind of control over electricity. (Sidenote: actually, I think this dream must have been brought on by the book I'm reading, seeing as I had just read a chapter on Electro). Anyways, then we managed to escape and were chased after by the baddies in a big SUV. But due to my somewhat ambiguous powers to manipulate wiring, I was able to steer the car in the other direction with just the power of my mind."

I'll admit that I'm curious as to what book she might be reading that has "a chapter on Electro" but I'm sure she'll tell us at some point. Sounds like a great dream, anyway.

And Vicki said this morning that she can't remember the last time she dreamed. I said, "You mean, you can't remember the last time you remembered a dream... as otherwise, you'd have long since gone crazy from the lack of dreaming!" Which got me the look. But she's clearly in the camp of people who often don't remember their dreams, or even that they had dreams. Although she does remember sometimes, and has told me about some great ones over the years. She's often being chased in her dreams, as a recurring theme. My themes tend to be travelling (and things going wrong), trying to dial rotary phones (and screwing up one of the last digits), trying to find my locker in high school, realizing I haven't been going to a course in University that now has an exam or assignment due, or finding awesome comic stores or collections. All but the last type are usually frustrating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mine are scary....so I don't remember them!