Monday, November 27, 2006

Stupid Things I Know

The ubiquitous nature of the Internet these days means that all of us have an incredible amount of data literally at our fingertips. We often make the joke at work, when we're debating over some piece of trivia, that "if only there were someplace we could look, some central location, that might tell us the answer.." after which we all share a laugh and then look it up on IMDB, or NHL.COM, or wherever. Often we don't even know which site to use, but then Google or Yahoo rides to the rescue.

But having said all that, there are a lot of pieces of trivia that I just have in my head. It's entirely possible (though, I hope, not likely) that the data I have is wrong, because I refer to it (in my head) so often that I don't even bother looking it up to check its veracity anymore.

So, to put that to the test, here are just a few of these totally useless bits of memorization that reside in my noggin, with no attempt to verify them ahead of time (feel free to point out where I'm wrong, so maybe I will update the data!):

Stanely Cup Winners 1967 - 2006 (40 years!)

1967 Toronto
1968 - 69 Montreal
1970 Boston
1971 Montreal
1972 Boston
1973 Montreal
1974 - 75 Philadelphia
1976 - 79 Montreal
1980 - 83 NY Islanders
1984 - 85 Edmonton
1986 Montreal
1987 - 88 Edmonton
1989 Calgary
1990 Edmonton
1991 - 92 Pittsburgh
1993 Montreal
1994 NY Rangers (couldn't be surer of this if my life depended on it)
1995 New Jersey
1996 Colorado
1997 - 98 Detroit
1999 Dallas
2000 New Jersey
2001 Colorado
2002 Detroit (although I might have 2001 & 2002 reversed)
2003 New Jersey
2004 Tampa Bay
2005 -- lockout --
2006 Carolina

Members to join the Avengers over the first 100 issues

Hulk, Thor, Iron Man, Ant Man, Wasp (founders, issue # 1)
Captain America (issue # 4)
Wonder Man (unclear if he actually joined, but issue # 9, regardless)
Hawkeye, then Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch (issue # 16)
The Swordsman (issue # 20, joined to betray team, but was never formally booted)
Hercules (not sure what issue #, in the 30s somewhere)
Black Panther (issue # 52)
The Vision (issue # 58)
The Black Knight (issue # 71)


The words to the Green Lantern Oath, as spoken by Hal Jordan:

"In brightest day, in blackest night
No evil shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"


World Series results 1991 - 2006

1991 Minnesota def Atlanta
1992 Toronto def Atlanta
1993 Toronto def Philadelphia
1994 -- strike --
1995 Atlanta def Cleveland
1996 NY Yankees def Atlanta
1997 Florida def Cleveland
1998 NY Yankees def San Diego
1999 NY Yankees def Atlanta
2000 NY Yankees def NY Mets
2001 Arizona def NY Yankees
2002 Anaheim def San Francisco
2003 Florida def NY Yankees
2004 Boston def St. Louis
2005 Chicago White Sox def Houston
2006 St. Louis def Detroit

How wacky is it that I have stuff like that in my brain??

And what stupid things are in your brain that you'd like to share?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha someone made sure I had the green lantern oath stuck in my head too once upon a time...

Pretty sure I could receit all the lyrics from OMWF. One time I tried to list all the buffy episodes and got pretty close, somewhere around 120/144. If you think this isn't very good, try it with B5! Surprisingly hard.

Peter Janes said...

It wouldn't be a stretch to recite most of Weird Al Yankovic's lyrics up until "Off the Deep End", even though I haven't listened to most of those songs for several years.

I met him in a swamp down in Dagobah / Where it bubbles all the time like a giant carbonated soda / S-O-D-A soda
I saw the little runt sitting there on a log / I asked him his name and in a raspy voice he said Yoda / Y-O-D-A Yoda / Yo-yo-yo-yo-Yoda.

Oh, and Londo has "six" like all Centauri males, and Spock's blood type is T-negative.

Jimmy said...

"I wasn't expecting that"
....
"Noooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. Our chief weapon is surprise. And Fear. Surprise and fear. Our two main weapons are suprise, fear and a rutheless efficiency. Our THREE weapons are surprise, fear, a ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the pope. Oh damn. Amongst our weapons are such diverse elements as surprise, fear, a ruthless efficiency and an almost fanatical devotion to the pope"

Jimmy said...

Starting offense for the 05 Steelers:

QB Ben Roethlisberger
RB "Fast" Willie Parker
HB Dan Kreieder
OL Alan Faneca
OL Jeff Hartings
OL Max Starks
OL Trai Essex
TE Heath Miller
WR Hines Ward
WR Antwaan Randle El
WR Cedric Wilson

Jimmy said...

Starting defense for the 05 Steelers:

DL Aaron Smith
DL Casey Hampton
DL Kimo Von Oelhoffen
LB Joey Porter
LB Larry Foote
LB James Farrior
LB Clark Haggans
FS Deshea Townsend
SS Troy Polamalu
CB Ike Taylor
CB Bryan McFadden

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I know you meant to refer to them as the hated Steelers but just forgot.

Anonymous said...

Question Mark and the Mysterians sang 96 tears.

Tammy used to be able to recite Ickle Me, Pickle Me, Tickle Me too. Ickle was captain, Pickle was crew..... LOL!

Steel Curtain Rules!