Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Stupid Things I Know, Part 2

In my previous post on this topic, I listed my recollection of the Stanley Cup winners, 1967-2006. So far no one's corrected me on any of them, but I choose to attribute that more to laziness on your part than perfection on mine! But so it goes.

Then today the question was asked of me, at work, "Can you also name the losers of those 39 Stanley Cups?" Which got me thinking that I ought to at least give it a try. So, by popular demand (where popular means almost none at all), here they are:

Update: wrong answers in red (along with correct teams)

1967 Toronto def Montreal
1968 - 69 Montreal def St. Louis, St. Louis
1970 Boston def St. Louis
1971 Montreal def Chicago
1972 Boston def NY Rangers
1973 Montreal def Chicago
1974 - 75 Philadelphia def Boston, Buffalo
1976 - 79 Montreal def Boston (Philadelphia), Boston, Boston, NY Rangers
1980 - 83 NY Islanders def Philadelphia, Minnesota, Vancouver, Edmonton
1984 - 85 Edmonton def NY Islanders, Philadelphia
1986 Montreal def Calgary
1987 - 88 Edmonton def Philadelphia, Boston
1989 Calgary def Montreal
1990 Edmonton def Boston
1991 - 92 Pittsburgh def Minnesota, Chicago
1993 Montreal def Los Angeles
1994 NY Rangers def Vancouver (couldn't be surer of this if my life depended on it)
1995 New Jersey def Detroit
1996 Colorado def Florida
1997 - 98 Detroit def New Jersey (Philadelphia), Philadelphia (Washington)
1999 Dallas def Buffalo
2000 New Jersey def Colorado (Dallas)
2001 Colorado def New Jersey
2002 Detroit def Philadelphia (Carolina)
2003 New Jersey def Anaheim
2004 Tampa Bay def Calgary
2005 -- lockout --
2006 Carolina def Edmonton


I think I probably got better than half of them right, but I'll go look them up now and post the results shortly.

Update: OK, so I did a lot better than I expected! I had 5 wrong (out of 39) with most of them being recent results rather than older ones. (And 4 of the 5 errors involved the Flyers.. what's that all about?) The higher error rate in the last decade is probably a reflection of the fact that, in the 70s and 80s, I paid an inordinate amount of attention to the NHL, compared to now. Many of those series I can even remember how many games they went, and in some cases individual highlights! Now that's a crazy use of my brain cells!

Oh, and P.S. In checking the losing teams, I also checked my listings of the winners, and it turned out I'd gotten them 100% correct. Glad to know my burned-in memory of those doesn't need replacement!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is just scarily impressive. very very scary....you know if you use up all of your brain cells with trivia that you run out...you knew that didn't you?

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I can always just discard useless bits to make room for more!

Your birthday's in June, right?