Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Everyone Else Is Afraid To Blog About Work

Recently I learned a new word (new to me, that is): dooceing. As compelled as I am to try to explain it myself here, I should probably first include a link to a better source or possibly a better account of the event itself in case you want something more official. Anyway, the short version is that a woman who blogged at www.dooce.com (and still does) used to include satirical bits about what happened in her workplace, never actually identifying the company or any of the employees. At some point her boss (or boss's boss, or whoever) found out about the stuff she was blogging and fired her over it. I haven't yet found the time to read through her entire blog for that period to find all of the details, but she encapsulates it as: "A year later I was fired from my job for this website because I had written stories that included people in my workplace." She follows that up with: "My advice to you is BE YE NOT SO STUPID. Never write about work on the internet unless your boss knows and sanctions the fact that YOU ARE WRITING ABOUT WORK ON THE INTERNET." And this story was told to me by someone at work who never writes about our workplace on his blog, for (I imagine) that very reason.

Being stupider than the average person, though, I wasn't discouraged by any of this. My reasons for this (beyond simple stupidity) are my own, but since we're all friends here (we are, right?), I'll say that my reasoning comes from some subset of the following:

a) rather than living in daily fear of being fired, my fear most days is that I won't be fired;
b) seeing as how our company has no official policy, I see no reason not to blog about it;
c) I'm always very careful about what I say; in fact, I write everything that goes on my blog as though every person on the planet might someday get to read it (hey, I like to aim high, what can I say?);
d) I started blogging several weeks after my boss informed me he was going to start, at which time he also suggested I consider doing the same (he, to this day, still hasn't started up a blog) so that's some form of encouragement, ennit?;
e) I don't like the idea of other people telling me what I can and can't say, assuming I'm not slandering folks;
f) I enjoy the breaking of the rules.

You can decide for yourself which you think apply. I'll never tell!

3 comments:

Peter Janes said...

That someone else has just never had much of interest or relevance to write about work. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah I really wouldn't care. If I was fired for that then I that's a company I wouldn't want to be working for anyways.

Anonymous said...

I'm voting for: "you enjoy breaking the rules"
Cause all of the others would just be wrong.