Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Working In A Cool Environment

Today was a classic moment at work: someone brought his Wii console into work and hooked it up at his desk. I started hearing about it midway through the day when some of my team members came back from a visit to this impromptu Game Zone, raving about how much fun the Wii was. Before the day was over, more satisfied (potential future) customers for Nintendo's latest offering were stopping by my desk to gush over the golf stroke they'd just perfected in virtual space, or what it felt like to play tennis without a racquet... or ball... or even a court!

This sort of thing, where I'm reminded of just how much fun we sometimes have at work, is why I love my company, when I do. I think back to the evenings, a few years ago, when a bunch of us would stay around after 5:00 pm, order in dinner and spend a couple hours using our network to get in some multi-player gaming (this was just before the widespread availability of high speed Internet). When you think about that, or today's Wii experience, you have to know that most companies would probably frown on, if not outright ban, either of those events. Where we work, it just doesn't cause a ripple. I'm not sure most people who work there appreciate just how good we've got it, in that regard, but I suppose eventually they'll end up somewhere else and at some point start telling stories about the good old days they had at a really cool company.

If I'd had my act together better today I probably would've checked the Wii out myself, but after spending the morning prepping for and then taking part in a departmental All Hands meeting, I was busy all afternoon catching back up. I'm also taking Friday off, so I want to make sure everything's in good shape before I leave work tomorrow. If I continue my plan to not check work e-mail at home for awhile, I could actually get a nice 3-day weekend out of my 3-day weekend! (And although I didn't get the solid night's sleep last night as I'd hoped, I'm going to try again tonight and see how it goes.)

So, without having enjoyed the Wii fun myself, but based on what I saw secondhand, I'm at least considering the option of buying a Wii over the next few months.. in addition to the PS/3, of course!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can agree 100% with the comments. I can definitely appreciate how good we have it at this company. Having been at 2 companies before this, I can say that they don't come close to comparing to the work environment and culture here.

Oh sure, I may be "Anonymous", but you know who I am.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Are you the woman who waters the plants, by any chance? You do a fantastic job, by the way!!

FalloutBoy said...

Yep I agree with you on this. VM->LBRT->CC->TVP is a really kewl company to work for even though I'm now in the twilight zone that no one know where we are. Maybe I should get a plant so the 'water lady' would drop by and visit us once a while :-)

Regarding the afterwork session, what do you thing about getting something going again once TF2 is out next year.