Saturday, November 18, 2006

Why Can't I Find A Radio Station This Good?

I've tended to blog while stretched out in our front room, with the big screen TV on. If Vicki's not watching anything on it, I usually have the Galaxie GoldRock channel on (ch 722 on Rogers), a digital music channel that plays a "blend of post-Sgt. Peppers, from the 60s to the 90s." I'd say the music that's played on it breaks down for me as follows:

1) About 60% of it I really enjoy
2) About 30% of it is just OK, neither appealing nor really a turn-off for me
3) About 10% is stuff I'd just as well skip, like the odd offering from Eddie Money, Rush, or Meatloaf

Now, when you combine the above stats, which are well above the success rate I've ever had with any radio station in my life, and the fact that there aren't any commercials or other interruptions to ruin the mood, it's no wonder I have it as the power-on channel for our digital box. I probably have the box tuned to this channel more than any other, now that I think about it.

All those years of working on technology at work to support things like digital music channels, and I never appreciated just how good one could be!

2 comments:

Jimmy said...

I like that channel too...plus I like Meatloaf and Rush.

Peter Janes said...

As much as I love music---and the CBC, which programs the Galaxie channels---Galaxie just doesn't do it for me. The less said about the digital music channel feeds at work the better.

Having only rarely tuned my radio away from the Ceeb for more than a decade, and having used a well-featured PVR for a year and a half, my sentiments on ads are right in line with Rod Serling's comment that "It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper."