Sunday, March 18, 2007

Code Breaking

Among my many flaws is an inability to see a coded message somewhere without taking some time to try to crack it. Single-character substitution codes are usually easy enough to solve if the message is long enough (half a dozen words or more, typically) and you have any necessary contextual background.

I was reading the 2nd issue of Jeff Smith's Shazam! The Monster Society of Evil mini-series this morning, and the chapter titles were in code. I'm not sure if anyone unfamiliar with Captain Marvel/Shazam! would have the contextual information to de-code it like I did, but I'll post it here in case you want to try:

Chapter 2: NZIB GZPVH GSV XZPV!

Chapter 3: HREZMZ XLNVH LM HGILMT!

Anything you might need to know about Captain Marvel/Shazam! to help you crack this code can be found in the first several paragraphs of the Wikipedia page for the good Captain, in case you're interested.

I'll post the answer in a few days if no one's cracked it by then. And I guess I'll award a Blog Point to the first person to get it. (It took me about 20 minutes to solve... Hey, I never said I was good at it!)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Got all but the first word of the chapter 2 title---I'm guessing it's a character's name, but can't find one that fits. If I'm right about the rest, the last word is a play on Captain Marvel's nickname.

Chapter 3 appears to be SIVANA COMES ON STRONG!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Got Chapter 3 right, but I'd suggest that you're on the wrong path with Chapter 2's title.

Anonymous said...

So it's not "xxxx TRIES THE BRIE!"? :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, then it's the same code... MARY TAKES THE CAKE!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

We have a wiener.. err, I mean, winner!! Good job, PeterJ! Sorry I wasn't clear about both codes being the same.

Anonymous said...

No worries. :) I actually tried to work the codes together when I wasn't getting anywhere individually, but decided that BRIE was right, and because it conflicted with SIVANA, I figured they were different. Once I realized there was a pattern to the substitutions for Chapter 3 the solution for it became that much easier, but I didn't think to go back and apply it to Chapter 2.

I am kind of disappointed that TRIES THE BRIE wasn't right though... would've been clever! :)

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I'm not sure the average comic fan would even know what brie was, to get the "Big Red Cheese" joke.