Sunday, March 04, 2007

What Were You Doing When (Part 1)?

This just occurred to me as a possible blog thread, inspired by PeterJ's oblique mention of Miss Gradenko, as that got me thinking of all things Police. So here's my first "What were you doing when..." question.

Assuming you're a Police fan of some degree, and assuming you own Ghost in the Machine in one form or another, what were you doing (or I guess, what was your reaction) when you first realized that those funny three icons on the cover, made up to look like LED displays, were actually representations of the three band members? I remember seeing it one day - this is long before we learned everything from the Internet - and immediately showing the cover to my mother. She couldn't make out the faces in the LED display at all, and thought I was just reading too much into it. I also remember that Ghost in the Machine was among the first albums I bought once I got serious about music (prior to that it was greatest hits collections, Elvis, and God only knows what else). I still get a kick out of seeing those icons and thinking back on that day.

Anyone have any interesting experiences around that album cover?

4 comments:

Jimmy said...

Sorry - I had Ghost In The Machine on cassette - and lost the case. No real experiences to share with that one.

Although I do have 4 different copies of The Wall cover art.

Anonymous said...

I have no recollection of ever seeing the cover; certainly never owned it. So the first time I realized that "those funny three icons" were the band members was while reading your post!

Just looked up the album cover, and I do see the faces (although originally I thought they were full-body profiles). I don't recognize the titles of half the songs, which reconfirms that I've never seen or heard GitM as an album... must know Miss G from a best-of.

Anonymous said...

What were you doing when? Sorry, I wasn't listening to Police music. Now I am though..yay!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Well, the pickings are certainly slim here, but I'm awarding the Blog Point to Jimmy, for admitting to losing the Ghost in the Machine cassette case and managing to work in a Floyd reference while he was at it! Stupidity and brilliance, all in one package.. that's the sort of stuff we love!