Sunday, March 11, 2007

What If I Don't Like The New World?

This thought occurred to me earlier today, as I finished reading Marvel Comics' Civil War: The Initiative special. Probably part of my negative reaction stemmed from disappointment over the comic itself, as it was less a special and more of a promo piece for various upcoming series and mini-series. Considering that I paid $6.00 for it, I think I was justified in expecting more than what I got, but that's not really the point of this post.

What struck me was the notion: maybe I'm just not going to like the new Marvel universe! Tony Stark's in charge of pretty much everything, and is being portrayed as being about as arrogant as you'd expect someone in that position to be. I also read The Mighty Avengers # 1 this weekend, which similarly has Stark front and centre. In both cases I was turned off by what I saw, as Iron Man struts around re-making the world in his own image. It's like when the Republicans win an election in the U.S. and start bragging about all of the civil liberties they're about to curtail and the sweetheart deals they're cutting with their lobbyists... and who the Hell wants to be reminded of that when reading a comic book?

I'm going to have to think about this long and hard over the next few months. It's just possible that I've found a jumping off point for Marvel, after three and a half decades of loyal readership!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Perhaps they are setting him up for a big fall?