Saturday, March 03, 2007

No Revelations Here, And The Only Beast Is... Well, Me!

This is post # 666 (thanks to Vicki for pointing out that fact, before I'd missed the opportunity to capitalize on it). Here are a few thoughts related to that number.

When I was in university, my roommate's girlfriend had to get a new license plate for her car (don't remember why, maybe the old one was just rusty?). She came back from the MTO with what they've given her, which read "VPY 666". My roommate and I teased her mercilessly for a couple days, saying that "vippy" sounds like something being said backwards - especially if you suck your breath in while saying it - and so "VPY 666" was undoubtedly an incantation intended to summon the Devil. I think we almost had her to the breaking point where she was going to return it and ask for a different plate, when we lost interest and stopped the campaign.

If you'd like to see what the Wikipedia community has to say about the number 666, click here. It's fairly interesting, including the part where historians believe that number may have been code for "Nero". I also like how the fear of that number has its own name, which is hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia (try getting that one during a Spelling Bee!)

I wonder if they skip 666 when assigning street #s, like they often omit the 13th floor in apartment buildings and offices (or more accurately, they call it the 14th floor)?

Anyway, there are my random musings on the number 666, for the superstitious readers out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They don't skip 666: proof by counterexample. (Although that location is EOA, so take from that what you will. :)

Other unlucky number fun:

We have a coworker who was not happy when I pointed out, many years ago now, that she lived on the thirteenth floor. (She doesn't any more.) My current accommodations are also on the thirteenth floor.

Didja ever notice that "23" appears twice in The Numbers? (8+15 = 23, dontcha know.)