Monday, March 05, 2007

It Made Sense Right Up Until That Last Sentence

There I was, reading this article at Gamespot, all about a couple of updates to the online Resistance: Fall of Man game (go figure that I'd be interested in that!) The first bit of news, announcing a couple new gameplays coming out later this month, wasn't really that exciting to me because neither style of play appealed to me that much. So, nice to hear, but whatever. Then I start reading about the later upgrade, scheduled for May, which is essentially a couple new maps for the game, which does interest me quite a bit! And then I read the last sentence:

"Sony has not announced pricing for the new maps."

WTF? "Pricing?" Who's going to pay for a couple additional maps? That's not the sort of thing most game-makers charge for, understanding instead that keeping up interest in the game - by adding the occasional new game mode or map - is one of the ways to generate more sales of the game itself, as well as maintaining excitement for a future expansion pack or sequel. I'm hoping whoever wrote the story simply didn't know that, rather than it being a case of Sony actually planning to charge for a couple new maps!

No comments: