Saturday, November 11, 2006

The (Stupid) Things (Stupid) People Do

There's nothing quite like watching a TV show or movie, or reading a book or comic, and encountering a situation where you expect a character to do something stupid, based on years of seeing them written that way, and being surprised when they don't. One of the best examples of this that I can think of was near the end of Atom Egoyan's brilliant film, Exotica, when the Bruce Greenwood character looks poised to do exactly the thing we're all expecting him to do, and wreck a couple lives (one of them, his own) in the process. And then instead he does something else, something astonishing, and you're left uplifted instead of depressed.

I wish more writers these days would write intelligent, insightful people into their stories. Maybe it's not what this world's predominantly populated by (I don't know), but it's certainly more of what I want to watch or read, rather than stupid people doing stupid things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obviously Superman! I think you'd like the physics book I'm reading... even for a non comic lover i'm really enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

Posting comments to a previous post...how sad.
I was looking for another example from the movie fan where the ending was an uplifting twist and not what we expected.