Monday, November 06, 2006

One of the funnier bits in Peopleware by DeMarco & Lister

Lots of obvious stuff in the book, and a sizable amount of interesting material, and then there was the part where they recounted the story about the company who fosters the desired feeling of eliteness among all of its employees by having them all fly first class. As someone who hates to travel for many, many reasons, and who has had to cram his six foot, two inch frame into way too many seats designed for people roughly five and a half feet in height, the idea that my company would actually care enough to pay three to five times the economy fare just to have me fly first class on business is... well, inconceivable. Fun to think about, sure, but inconceivable.

Fortunately I don't get asked to travel much for my job, anyway. Lucky for me. Lucky for everybody!

4 comments:

Peter Janes said...

You keep using that word. I think it means what you think it means.

(sorry again)

Tangentially---always tangentially---I've read recently about a feeling of entitledness that recent grads who've entered the working world have. (If that parses to something sensible it'll be a miracle.) The basic gist is that they're not happy unless on day one they're getting those first class flights, Aeron chairs, huge bonuses, long vacations, and so forth. The thing is, they seem to be able to get exactly those things in many cases by bouncing around from job to job.

I'm not sure exactly how I feel about that.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know this until recently, but Comcast/TVWorks policy is that if the flight is longer than 4.5 hours, you are allowed to upgrade to first class.

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

It sounds like we should all be bastards at work more (hard to imagine, in my own particular case) and demand better treatment. Worst case, you get fired and pick up some sweet, sweet Severance $$$ from The Man!

Yeah, I guess I've already lived that dream.

Anonymous said...

Comon....you don't want to be proud of the IGG whiners who start to get you all perks....now do you...huh...do you?