Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The Funnest Thing I Did Tonight

I don't think I'm betraying any confidences by posting this, but I'm sure I'll hear about it if I'm wrong!

Anyway, my boss is someone who loves getting feedback because he actually - wait for it! - welcomes that sort of thing and wants to use it to grow personally and professionally. I know, I know, it sounds crazy; but he actually thinks like that! I can't imagine how he does it, but on the other hand, I can't help but admire that trait about him.

So, as we were talking about such things, but not knowing what was in his review this year, I made the offhand comment, "Well, if I'd gotten to do your performance review this year, you'd better believe I'd have given you some interesting areas to work on!" Instead of giving me either of the responses I'd expected - disdain at the thought of anything I have to say being worthwhile, or mild amusement at the thought of the slave becoming the master, and vice versa - he actually looked interested and said, "Would you? Would you really be willing to do up a 2006 review on me?" Obviously he already has his real review, done by his boss, but this nutty guy likes feedback so much that the idea of getting another perspective actually appealed to him!

So that's how I spent about an hour and a half of my evening. I took it seriously, and did it as if I were actually preparing an official review of him for the year. Naturally, I only have one perspective on how he did, since much of his work doesn't involve me, but I just worked with what I knew. In the end, I really enjoyed the experience and felt like I ended up with a better appreciation for his role and the challenges he faces. I fired it off to him with a sense of accomplishment and even a mild touch of nostalgia from the days when I had a team to do reviews on each year.

Of course, when he reads it and goes, "Yeah, right. I guess that was a waste of time" I may not be quite so jovial!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt wrote an excellent review that gave me a clear view of how I'm doing from his perspective. Lots of good feedback in there and feedback that I wouldn't necessarily get from my own boss (who naturally thinks I walk on water ;-).

I would encourage anyone who wants to provide me feedback to do so (doesn't have to be a full-blown review). And if you want to do so anonymously then I suggest you quietly place it in my mailbox in the mailroom.

Anonymous said...

What a brave brave man!