Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Favourite Comic Covers Part 4


Yet another favourite comic cover by Neal Adams... no wonder he's my all-time favourite (despite leaving a less-than-favourable impression when I met him in person).

This time around it's Justice League of America (Vol I) # 92, from 1971. As with Avengers # 93, this was one of the earliest comics I ever owned. And again, as with its Marvel counterpart, I'd read this so many times the cover had fallen off and been lost by the time I'd reached an age to appreciate just how bad an event that was! For each, I think that extended period of time in my life when I'd lost the original cover and could only see it in the occasional ad I'd stumble on, probably contributed significantly to my deepfelt affection for those cover images ever since. They were, for years and years, that elusive and indescribable quality of my childhood that I'd carelessly misplaced at some point. In fact, when Vicki and I first got together and started visiting comic stores while on vacation, Avengers # 93 and JLA # 92 were on my short list of comics to upgrade so as to have copies with covers once again! The former was very easy to find; the latter took me a few years, which probably speaks to the relative popularity of the two titles around that time!

And just look at the JLA and JSA line-ups, down the left and right edge of this cover! Two Supermen, two Flashes, two Green Lanterns, two Hawkmen, two Atoms, and even two Robins! I'd previously mentioned this issue in passing, while describing my love for stories involving dopplegangers. So combine across-the-board JLA/JSA counterparts, Solomon Grundy (always a frightening JSA villain), a lost-for-years cover, and Neal Adams' magic, and surely this must qualify as one of my favourite comic covers of all times!

No comments: