Thursday, December 14, 2006

Today's Wacky Assignment: Look For Training

I spent some time today on the Information Superhighway, doing about 120, but not getting anywhere special. I was trying to find Agile-related courses that would be appropriate for our Product Owners and Product Managers at work. With all of the focus early on being on how we'd take Development, Systems Integration and Quality Assurance and smoosh them together into Feature Teams, not a whole lot of time was spent figuring out the nuts and bolts involved with product management. And, as with all things neglected, we're now paying the price in the form of various degrees of chaos and confusion.

There seem to be three high level challenges that the Product Team is up against:

1) How to interact with the Feature Teams effectively?
2) How to interact with the multitude of customers we have effectively?
3) How to manage the ever-growing, insatiable monster known as the Product Backlog?

I have some thoughts on these topics, but what we really need is some expert advice as a starting point. Hence the search.

I sent about a half dozen possibilities off to my boss for his consideration. I'd love to say I can tell a good course from a bad one, but sadly Training & Education ain't one of my specialties. My wife currently works in a department called Learning and Development, so does that count? Sadly, no, because she's a project manager there, not a trainer. It's kind of funny what sort of things sometimes end up falling under the intentionally-vague title of Agile Manager, ennit?

But at least we're trying!

No comments: