Saturday, December 23, 2006

Nocturnal E-missions

It's just past 1:00 am on Saturday morning, and I've given up trying to get to sleep (for awhile, anyway). I tossed and turned for an hour or so and then headed to the basement to find more entertaining missions (or at least, mildly productive ones) for myself.

First I put some paid bills and statements away in the filing cabinet that holds such things, in which the folders, of course, are arranged alphabetically and by type. Then I catalogued the last couple weeks' worth of comic purchases. (Current comic total, according to my Java Inventory System: 26,098.) Next I sorted that pile of 20-ish comics into the order in which I plan to read them: best down to worst. Have I ever mentioned how obsessive I am about sorting things?

And now I've finished playing about 20 minutes of Quake 4, the PC video game I've been working away on for months. I whizzed through some simple parts but then ran into a scene where I'm set upon by several of the game's toughest bad guys, and after dying 5 or 6 times in a row, I decided to leave that mission for the daylight hours.

Soon, I'll give sleeping another shot. Insomnia's a regular vistor to this house; but when I don't have to worry about getting up for work tomorrow (or anytime soon), it's more of an annoyance than a problem. I've long believed that once I stop working, I'll simply get into a pattern where I sleep when I'm tired, and do stuff when I'm not. It's just hard to do that when I'm expected to be up from 7:00 in the morning until 11:00 at night 5 days out of every 7 (which hardly matches my fatigue patterns, unfortunately).

No comments: