Thursday, December 21, 2006

Nobody Else's Blog Is As Great As Mine

I've lately been sampling a lot of blogs, occasionally as the result of random surfing I've been doing, but more often thanks to being pointed to them by veteran bloggers like PeterJ and the Man from Mars. I enjoy Will "Ensign Crusher" Wheaton's and Eddie "From Hell" Campbell's sites, for example, because each of them post frequently (at least daily) and the majority (but not all) of what they write about is interesting to me. Very few of the rest of the blogs I've been visiting achieve that kind of success on both levels, though certainly some are higher in frequency or more appealing in terms of subject matter (but not both).

But what's become apparent to me over the past three months is that there's only one blog in the entire world that's just exactly the kind that I really love: mine! Rather than kidding myself that this is the result of some hitherto-untapped super-skill on my part, I'm realizing it's simply an extension of a Fact of Life: I prefer my own way of doing things to anyone else's! I'm not sure if that's a universal feeling, or if in fact some people spend large stretches of their lives envying others and wishing they could take their place. Let's see: there's the original Star Trek episode where the nasty female scientist invents the device that can switch you into another body, and she uses it on Kirk because he spurned her years ago and she covets the power he's always demonstrated. And comics are full of body-swapping examples, including villains wanting to have heroes' bodies for various reasons. Even Buffy, She Who Slays Vampires got bumped out of her own bod by Faith, when envy reared its ugly head again. But those are all fiction.

In the real world, I don't know what the norm is. All I know is I'd never trade my current setup for anyone else's, despite there being richer men out there, married to super-models, with the world seemingly on a silver platter. And possibly that's the same reason I keep coming back to the reaction of, "If only this blog I'm visiting were a little more _______ or just a tiny bit less ________." I think I'm expecting them all to feel like mine does to me, which is comfortable and cozy. And that expectation's just plain silly.

On the other hand, if all you bloggers out there could make your blogs more like mine, that'd totally rock!! :-)

No comments: