Monday, December 04, 2006

All Insomnia and No Sleep Make Matt a Dull-Headed Boy

Had one of my worst nights in awhile last night, sleeping-wise. I tossed and turned until about 1:00 am, then got up (so as not to continue bothering slumbering Vicki) and headed for the guest bedroom (aka Tammy's old room). Since it was obvious I wasn't going to sleep anytime soon, I read about 30 pages of Middlesex (by Jeffrey Eugenides) as it's gotten very good in its second half. Finally, feeling almost sleepy, I turned the light off just before 2:00 and tried once again to nod off. I saw 2:30 go by, but must've fallen asleep after that, because the next thing I knew I was hearing Vicki coming up the stairs. I couldn't believe it could be morning already - it was still dark in the room, although that doesn't always mean much lately, what with the time change and some of the stormy weather we've gotten - and sure enough it wasn't. Vicki came to tell me that the smoke detector in the kitchen (not far from our bedroom) was beeping, as it always does when the battery gets low. I asked, "What time is it?" despite there being a clock right beside me, and she told it was around 3:00. So obviously I hadn't been asleep very long.

Off I went downstairs to pull the smoke detector down and remove the battery, all the while Vicki is apologizing and I'm telling her it's no big deal. The whole thing seemed sort of dreamlike at the time and again, in the morning, but there was the device, battery out, lying on the kitchen table so it clearly happened. At any rate, I headed back upstairs to try to get to sleep again, only to see 4:00 and 5:00 roll by before I finally must've fallen back asleep. Around 7:30 Vicki came up once again, this time to tell me it was time to get up for work. That was when I decided there was no chance I'd be able to think straight on the 2 hours or so of rest, and told her to go ahead without me. After she left, I got my third short bout of sleep, from about 9:00 to 11:00.

I spent some time this afternoon on work items, including an Agile blog entry, but basically just hung around the house feeling woolen-headed. Usually when this happens, the next night goes well because I'm too tired not to sleep. But we'll see if that holds true this time.

And if you're one of those people who can always sleep, then... well, I hate you. But in a nice way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's too bad, so the cure of not reading work emails before bed isn't helping? I think the cause is probably too much to think about though. Maybe it would help if you put all your thoughts, concerns, etc. to paper every night. Well, you kind of do with your blog! Ok, time to invest in some serious sleep medication.

Anonymous said...

Still feel guilty about waking you up at 3 in the morning....but I can't reach the damn smoke detector...and me in a nightgown on a chair in the middle of the night had all kinds of potential for diaster - including making the thing go off in that annoying way it does when I cook. Yikes but that would have been nasty in the middle of the night!