Monday, December 04, 2006

Another PopCultRef To Add To Our List

I spotted this one awhile ago, and then again more recently. It shows up in the oddest of places, which again makes me think about how inexplicable some of these references must be to those who don't know the source material. Anyway, this one is:

"The first rule of Fight Club is - you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is - you do not talk about Fight Club!"

It seems to have become synonomous with any sort of clique-ish or insider group, which is appropriately ironic since the price of being in Fight Club was potentially getting your lights knocked out, whereas most of the adoptees of it have nothing at all comparable on the line.

My own experience with Fight Club (the movie, not the club) was kind of unusual. I don't like anything to do with boxing, so I wouldn't normally have watched a film entitled Fight Club. However, Jim Hinckley had it on DVD and strongly recommended I watch it. The Hinck isn't someone who pushes things on people stupidly, so I took it home. Tammy and I watched it on a Saturday night when Vicki was away at her mother's, since I suspected she'd be even less interested in the prospect than I was. I remember seeing the little flashes of images within the movie, and after the second one, asking Tammy, "Did you just see that?" She didn't have any idea what I was talking about, but since we were watching a DVD I was able to hit Rewind and then step it forward to show her what I'd seen at normal speed. We both scratching our heads for awhile, and then I figured out the big twist a little before it was revealed, largely because that video glitch had been bugging me. Anyway, we both really enjoyed it, and when Vicki came home, I told her, "Trust me. You've got to see this movie!" and then she and I watched it, a second time for me. I haven't seen it since, so my memory's a little blurred, but I do remember that I liked it a lot, even the second time through.

But I'm still not watching boxing movies. Tammy gave me Million Dollar Baby (liked it; didn't love it; thought the story was well-written, and well-acted but just couldn't get in to the subject matter) but that's about it for me and that genre. I'm happy to say I've never seen any of the Rocky series, and won't be watching the new one that's being advertised now (Rocky on Viagara!).

No comments: