Friday, December 08, 2006

Snowbound

Like most of the people who live in this area, Vicki and I are trapped within a fresh fortress of snow! After removing 6 to 9 inches early last night, we awoke this morning to find another couple feet of the white stuff had been deposited overnight! We spent about 45 minutes digging out one car wide path to the street, but realized in the process that there was no way we could actually drive on that street, considering it hadn't been plowed yet. It was fun seeing all of the neighbours out, socializing while they shovelled or used their snow blowers, much moreso than you'd ever see on a normal day, any time of the year!

Apparently the city authorities are asking that people stay home today anyway, as the downtown area is a mess: stuck cars preventing plows from getting around, parking lots snowed in, no buses able to run. It sounds like a perfect day to hunker down, do a little bit of work (there's always work to do) and maybe post a blog entry or ten!

7 comments:

FalloutBoy said...

I was out at 6am this morning and finished our driveway around 7am - even with a snow blower. Since no one is out to clean their driveways yet, I decided to carve out a walking path 2 houses to the left and right (we don't have sidewalks in our neighbourhood). Hopefully the neighbour won't mind since it's still too early to operate a noisy outdoor equipment :-)

Mike Marsman said...

Slacker! Some people are slowly starting to trickle into the office (maybe two dozen so far?)

I was hoping to hear the tale of an interesting bike ride in today!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I tell you: my decision to bike last Friday, in the cold and the rain and the wind, just keeps looking better and better every day this week (assuming that my "bike in every month" goal is worthwhile, which it clearly is to me).

Anonymous said...

Hey..after shoveling over 2 feet of snow this morning, I got to head to the back yard and shovel another 2 feet in a big square area so our dog has a place to do her business!!

Barry Egerter said...

No snow blower and a bad back = no attempts to get anywhere. I'm watching my frozen neighbor starting his snowblower up right now and he'll probably take care of the mess for me. Plows have just gone down our street for the first time today!

Enjoy the snow day and get some work done!

Anonymous said...

This is particularly exciting for me as I was scheduled to have an exam at 8am this morning. Actually, funny story.

Last night around 8pm we get an email from our accounting prof saying we may have to cancel the exam because the heating system is broken at Western. Hopes up, I became quite apathetic about studying. But alas, not half an hour later they got the heat up and running again.

I wake up at 6:30 this morning (after an unfortunate 3 hours of sleep for the second night in a row) to the radio saying all schools, UWO, and the bus system is closed today. The first snow day in 4 years! My theory is that someone at Western was praying really hard to not have to write their exam today. 7,000 of the 32,000 UWO students were schedule to write something today - that's a lot of happy campers.

Anonymous said...

I think I will post that on my blog, as it is a memorable event in my life.