Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Tomorrow is Performance Review Day (For Me)

Despite having had to do them in the past when I had a team of my own, I just can't really get very interested in Performance Reviews. That's not to say I didn't put a lot of effort into completing reviews for people on my team (I did); it's just that it seems like such a flawed process. First of all, most companies only do them once a year, which implies that an employee is only getting this sort of feedback on an annual basis. I suppose you could argue that it's a good thing that there's something in place to ensure it happens at all, as it's possible that you might actually get nothing from your manager otherwise! I think some managers use the fact that there is a year-end review as an excuse for not doing much people-stuff during the rest of the year. But that's just poor management style, and the right answer is to change that, not settle for once-a-year feedback.

Another problem I've always had with Performance Reviews, both now and at the bank, is that the format never seems to work very well. I can understand why HR wants a standardized form, but unfortunately I don't always think the categories we're forced to use in evaluating people work all that well. I've never been asked for my input on the categories, and yet year after year I was expected to profile each member of my team using those arbitrary buckets. One of the golden rules of management that I heard a long time ago, and tried to live by, is that employees shouldn't hear anything on an annual Performance Review for the first time. In other words, what you're telling them via the official review document should match what you've been telling them, good and bad, throughout the year. Unfortunately, that can be more difficult when some of the areas you're rating people on aren't actually important to the job they're doing. "Hey Fred, I've been noticing lately that you're struggling with creating and delivering solutions.. let's see what we can do about that, shall we?" Yeah, that terminology just rolls off the tongue!

But my biggest gripe has always been the limitation of tying performance to salary increases. Anyone can see the logic in paying your top performers better, so clearly a really good year by an employee should equal a nice raise. Where it all falls down, though, is that you often can't actually give someone the performance review you want to, because where money's concerned, there are all kinds of checks and balances in place that have to be considered. The example I used to use was this: suppose I had an 8-person team that just finished the most amazing year ever. They took on a ridiculous amount of work because they felt the company's future depended on it, and they found ways to get it all done, with a high degree of quality and sticking close to the customer's requirements. This team knows they just knocked the ball out of the park on consecutive at-bats, and I've been sure to tell them that every chance I get. Then it's time to do the year-end performance reviews, and I'm told that every team has to map somewhat close to a rating breakdown like 65% are 3's, 25% are 4's, and 10% are 5's, where ratings are essentially from 3 (fully competent) to 5 (superstar). Sure, they'll make exceptions to that rule, but what are the chances of me getting 8 people rated as 4's and 5's (the range that's supposed to represent only about a third of a team)? In most companies: You'd be SOL. And so what could've been a great opportunity to reward hard-work and dedication ends up being counter-motivational in the end. In a situation like that, I'd rather give each team member exactly the rating I think they deserve and then have salary be a separate consideration. I think people can understand that salary is budgeted and therefore often capped, but it just seems wrong to deny people ratings the same way. That was always one of the aspects of performance management that I railed against, for naught.

Luckily, this year I'm only a receiver, not a giver, of Performance Reviews. So I can sit back and bitch about the whole process, knowing I don't have to really get that worked up about it this year.

5 comments:

Peter Janes said...

I only ever have to deal with writing one review (mine) so I don't have experience to back this up, but I'd guess self-evaluation in those arbitrary categories is just as difficult.

Your "big gripe", and its effects, reminds me of the "punchline" of the Parable of the Two Programmers that's been making the rounds (again) the last day or so.

Anonymous said...

I think the "self review" is an even bigger sham. To me, the whole process breaks down to:

1. Spend a bunch of time writing up what I think of myself and my performance for the year.

2. Present it to my team lead.

3. Listen to my team lead tell me, "That's a really nice job you did on your self review. Now here's the one that really matters. Mine."

No one has ever put forth a compelling enough argument to convicne me that self-reviews are anything more than a colossal waste of everyone's time.

FalloutBoy said...

I agree with 'croptop' 100%. Between the 'predefined buckets' and the 'FT manager review', the 'self review' seems like a waste of time. But, the 'self review' can be usefull too. It can affect the 'FT manager review' if they missed anything on their draft version of your review (i.e. a major accomplisment that you did but they forgot or didn't know of). It happens to me since I went through 3 managers in the span of a year :-)

Anonymous said...

Parable of Two Programmers was great!

I like self reviews - makes me think back on the year and what I can brag about - I also mark every category Excellent and then let the boss du jour justify making it lower! Fun mind game to play with them.
And you guys know the trick is to get it in to them EARLY before they have submitted your bell curved ratings to the gods...that way you just might maybe be able to influence.
And I agree with Matt 100% that there is nothing more demotivational than getting a lower rating due to it being tied to salary. AH well, R&R has always been a problem with business.

Anonymous said...

Leah McLaren's column in the Globe & Mail today has a good look at performance reviews, including these two studies:

"According to Tom Coens and Mary Jenkins, authors of Abolishing Performance Appraisals: Why They Backfire and What to do Instead, 80 per cent of American companies use performance appraisals, but a whopping 90 per cent of those report that they are unhappy with the results. A more recent U.S. study published in The Washington Post found similarly dismal results."

"According to a report by Distance Consulting published in the Corporate University Review, performance-appraisal systems, while accepted practice by most major companies, have been proved to devour staggering amounts of time, depress and de-motivate both managers and workers, destroy trust and team work and, 'adding insult to injury,' deliver 'little demonstrable value at great cost.'"

The whole column is worth a read, but be warned that it'll disappear behind the paywall in a week or so.