Sunday, December 03, 2006

Really Selective Amnesia

I've long thought that it would be pretty cool if there was a way to safely remove specific memories out of your brain. There are two categories of recollections that always prompt this line of thinking in my feeble brain. The first are the painful or embarrassing ones that you'd like to get rid of, so that they'd stop returning at the oddest times like they do. I've got my share of those and, in my weakest moments, I'd just like them gone!

But the other type is more interesting to me. It's your memory of the greatest books, movies, music, comics or TV shows that you've experienced, that you'd love the chance to re-visit again, but as if it were for the first time! I think you could take just about any favourite list you have, and just imagine what it would be like if you could remove just the contents of those cells from your brain, maybe just long enough to let you soak it all in again, fresh. I suppose the closest people ever get to this is also one of the saddest stories: Alzheimer's or other forms of memory loss that rob the old of their most cherished memories. But just think if it could be done in a more controlled manner? Wouldn't that be an awesome thing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many decades between readings/viewings?