Thursday, December 07, 2006

You Call This Free Crap A Perk?

I had an imaginary conversation in my head tonight, while we were out shovelling. Don't look so askance, I do it all the time - carry on internal dialogues, that is, not move snow around, thankfully - so this was nothing special. But some of what I was picturing myself talking about with someone at work seemed interesting enough to me when I was done that I figured it'd make a mildly-entertaining blog topic, which brings us... here.

So what I was thinking about was the fact there seems to be a growing sense of entitlement happening at work. It's hard to put my finger on precisely what gives me this impression, but it always seems strongest when we get anonymous questions during All Hands meetings or at company events. I think we must've set a record, for example, for "shortest time between announcing a new benefit and having someone try to make it even more generous" when the prospect of free cable slipped out (prematurely) in a company meeting and then was immediately challenged in terms of coverage... in the same meeting! Maybe it's just my old-fashioned upbringing acting up, but it really bothers me whenever people are given something and instead of first saying, "Thank you," they instead complain about it, belittle it, or act like they're entitled to it. I'm not talking about getting paid or anything that we, as employees, really are entitled to; I'm thinking more in terms of free lunches, articles of clothing, new benefits that are added to an already-impressive set, as well as donuts and other treats that are often provided in meetings. That sort of thing. I've started noticing in recent years that very few people even bother to say "Thanks" to any of those! Is it a generational thing, and parents in the last twenty or thirty years have stopped teaching their children basic manners (I know we put a lot effort into it with Tammy, but is that typical)? Or is it more a mentality of believing that you're owed everything you get (and more), regardless of whether or not you actually did anything to deserve it? I don't know.

One of the first times I saw this in action was a couple years ago when I invited my team over to my house for a summer pool party. I hosted the party, I provided the food, drink and snacks, and even made sure everyone had a ride there and back. As far as I could tell, everyone had a good time (which was the goal), and then when it was all over, one person out of a group of eight or nine thanked me! I'm sure that some of the others thought that I was simply doing my job in hosting the party, and that I'd certainly expensed all of the costs involved (I hadn't) and so, in their minds, it was no different than if I'd set up a meeting at work and invited them all to discuss our next project (despite the fact that we spent the time swimming and hanging out, but I'm splitting hairs now, aren't I?). Now, once again, my intention in making that event happen was to reward the team for doing all the great work they did, and give us all a chance to interact outside the office, since that usually fosters better teamwork. I didn't do it to be thanked, or appreciated, or even win the Boss of the Year Award (although, damn it! I should have won!) Nor did I cry myself to sleep that night after only one person showed any appreciation. But I did think it odd. And I still do.

With our move to Agile recently, we've been having more meetings lately that involve all levels of staff. Pre-Agile, meetings used to be, for the most part, the province of management. When someone today complains about having "too many meetings", and I look at their Calendar and see that today they spent 2 hours in meetings, I can't help but think back to the days when I used to be in meetings from 10:00 in the morning until 4:30 in the afternoon, with (sometimes) no break for lunch. Some of our management staff still have days like that, but that's another story. Anyway, we realize most people don't like meetings, and yet there are legitimate times when meetings are really valuable. Retrospectives and planning sessions, for example, happen frequently and are critical to the success of an Agile Feature Team. Here again, my faith in human nature took a small hit. I started off bringing donuts, cookies or muffins to these get-togethers to soften the blow, but eventually realized that no one really appreciated them. Ate them? Yes. Gave any indication they thought it was anything special? Nope. And this wasn't just on my team, but also on most others that I've interacted with. What surprises me about this is that, even if I assumed whoever providing the treats were expensing them (I do about half the time), they still have to go out and get them! Not to mention: think of providing them, be organized enough to allow time to get them before the meeting, and possibly provide some variety by bringing different stuff each time. Again, not a big deal in and of itself - we're all merely human - but seemingly right in line with the bigger trend I'm ranting about here.

My biggest worry on this topic, though, is that we're establishing a culture (of entitlement) that will ultimately work against our own best interests. I'm pretty confident that showing disdain or indifference toward kindness that's shown to you will always result in an eventual stop to the gift-giving. In fact, the only type of relationship I've ever seen where the one-sided imbalance between the giving and the taking continues for very long, is that of child and parent. Everywhere else, people just stop giving out after awhile (even in most marriages, I think). And since I like the perks we get at work, I can't help but selfishly hope they're not going to end anytime soon. I just wish more people had that perspective!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

No kidding....just absolutely rude! Hope those same people aren't raising kids!

Barry Egerter said...

Absolutely agree 100%. I have been bitching about the very same thing for several years now, as it seems that no matter how much the staff are "handed" the overall result seems to be someone or some people complaining about the handouts. For years we've been treated to generous party "prizes", a rock-solid benefits package, free drinks, and not to mention, TV at your desk! If many of these people had any serious work experience they might realize that it's cloud nine compared to some of the alternatives...

Speak to any contract person and you'll find that just having benefits of any kind would be a wonderful thing.

Excellent post!

FalloutBoy said...

Hmmmm...A wise man once say "Its never too late to show your gratitue or better late than never or something similar". I was one of those eight or nine people and I don't remember if I said "Thank You" or not (I'm getting old...since I started to forget thing left and right). So here it is - "Thanks Matt, you're still one of my favorite manager :-)".

Mike Marsman said...

Matt's my favorite Agile Manager(tm), too! (oh wait, he's the only one...)

Anonymous said...

Great post! Many thoughts:

- They see you (or any manager) as representing the company when you do something nice. And the company is always the enemy.
- Junior level employees have so little authority and are always being told what to do that any chance they get to rebel (even if it's just by being negative and pissy about some new benefit) they'll jump on.
- I get around this annoying habit in others by pointing out in an over-the-top-cute way what a nice thing I've done. As in, "Look, cookies! Made them myself! [big grin, slight nod, eye blink, right shoulder bounce ... key moves]".

Then I feel pleased with myself and no one seems to mind that I'm pointing it out (like if I said, "I stayed up all night baking these for you people, so you had better appreciate it... [disgruntled mumble]").

Jimmy said...

Like Nhan, I can't remember if I said "thanks" for the treats for the first planning session and the first retrospective we did. If I didn't, I'm sorry and "thanks" belatedly.

What I do remember, is that in the mini-retrospective for the first planning session the 'food' and 'treats' were praised as one of the high points (among many high points).

However, I agree with most of your observations, and the general attitude of entitlement around work.

Peter Janes said...

Hear hear!

I personally wouldn't mind seeing a lot of the company perks (as opposed to benefits) scaled back, or at least rethought. It's easy to build up a tolerance to constant meaningless gratification.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree...and I was at that party, and I also cannot remember if I did or not (I was definitely raised to, and if I didn't then I apologize).

I think that it is very likely that some people just aren't aware of how good we have it with respect to benefits and other perks. I've worked at 3 different companies now, and this one is by far the most generous (and I worked for one of the Big 5 Banks before it was swallowed up by another Big 5 Bank...leaving 4, I guess).

For some people I guess it's not just what you get, but rather how much MORE you can get..which, to me, is simply sad.

FalloutBoy said...

Most of us who works for other companies can appreciate that we do get A LOT of in term of benifits and perks. I really hope that the company will not scale back the benifits and perks based on the action or non-action of a few people :-)

I don't know if anyone feel the same or not but I feel really embarased when some of the anonymous questions/complains about perks read out loud for all to hear (especially the one about the missing big prize at the company Christmas party)

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Not to worry, former teammates... I wasn't angling for late appreciation or trying to make anyone feel bad; I was just pointing out a trend I've noticed and wanted to use a few concrete examples so anyone reading the blog could get a sense of what sorts of things I've seen.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

I removed both of Jakub's comments, at his request, since he felt they might've been misinterpreted as being more negative than he intended.