Saturday, November 11, 2006

Why I love Return of the Enigma

Superheroes and time travel. Need I say more?

OK, maybe a few additional words. I wrote it sometime in the late 80s or early 90s, and it was my first attempt at imagining what life might be like for a superhero in the real world. Watchmen was obviously the main inspiration, as this story would've been written before it became fashionable to use that backdrop (preceding Unbreakable, and Heroes, to name two of the better known examples). The idea that a masked avenger would change identities simply because he didn't like the name the press came up with for him still tickles my funnybone, all these years later. And how about Caren's line about the cape? Written a decade or more before The Incredibles, my friends!

All in all, I loved Return of the Enigma on re-reading it, with no cringes experienced.

No comments: