Thursday, November 09, 2006

Fortunately, I'm Not Shy About Being Stupid

Today at work I had to admit in no uncertain terms just exactly how ignorant I am about how RSS (Really Simple Syndication) works. Oh, sure, I'd heard of RSS and even knew that it (somehow, magically) allows people to know about blog updates (possibly among other things). And that was about it. Really.

It's possible that some people just naturally assume I'm smarter than I am, even when I'm not (think about that one for awhile, I dare ya!). Or maybe every other person who's ever had the where-with-all to start up a blog also knows all about RSS. Whatever the reason, it took a little doing on my part to convince a certain someone that I, and I quote, "have no idea what you're talking about" when the other person sagely assured me that "the link should play nicely with any RSS aggregator." I'll admit that I felt like Malcolm Smith in conversation with one of the Dice Men, except that he (thankfully) wasn't resorting to using an inclination of his sperm puddle in order to get his point across to this fool.

So one of my chores tonight is to read up on RSS, and RSS aggregators. Wikipedia is my friend! :-) But I have to say: if it was really Really Simple Syndication, would I be having this much trouble?

I've many flaws, but luckily for all involved, being afraid to admit I don't understand something isn't one of them!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad I could be of service!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

If by service, you mean "Make me realize how stupid I am", then Yes!

:=)

Peter Janes said...

Don't let him fool you, RSS is the past. Atom is the place to be (and it's got a cool superhero-y type name)! RFC 4287, baby!

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

Y'know, it's just that sort of "Hey, that new technology you just learned is out-of-date!" cheerful mockery that keeps some of us watching our VHS tapes, buddy!

Anonymous said...

Talking gibberish again with techy geeks. Sigh.