Thursday, November 02, 2006

What would Freud say?

Anyone who knows me well knows that, during the NHL season, I tend to live or die by how the Rangers are doing, and more specifically, how they did in their last (or current) game. This has been true for over 30 years and I've given up any hope that I might be able to someday become a more passive fan who occasionally checks the standings to see how that team that used to mean so much is faring. In fact, it's not uncommon for me to wake up in the middle of the night and start fretting over how badly the boys from Broadway did earlier in the evening.

So imagine my surprise around 3:00 this afternoon when, out of the blue, I suddenly remembered that the New Yorkers had played in Anaheim last night and I had no idea how the game had gone! When they're on the West Coast (very infrequently these days, due to the unbalanced NHL schedule) I usually go to bed not knowing the final score but either toss and turn for 2 hours and then get up and check TSN.CA, or do it first thing in the morning if I actually managed to sleep through the night. And yet here I was today, having completely forgotten for most of the day that they'd even played! Practically unheard of in three decades of following them!

When I finally did check out last night's results, I found that they'd won in overtime thanks to Jagr's efforts. But I wonder if maybe I'm starting to care less than I ever have before? Is this yet another age thing??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't mention the age thing! I think you are just distracted with blogging these days! I can't imagine that you've become last concerned with the Rangers..who last won the cup in June 1994!