Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Shortest Distance Between Two Points Involves Teleportation

This time of year always depresses me because I start having to drive (or catch a ride with Vicki) to work more and more, meaning I have to deal with traffic, more and more.

I hate traffic.
I hate stupid drivers.
I hate drivers who have to virtually come to a full stop in order to turn a corner.
I hate drivers who run red lights, which is an epidemic around here lately.
I hate drivers who don't pay attention while they drive, like when they're in a left turn lane and take their own sweet time making the turn because, well, they're going to make this light so who cares if the cars behind them do?
I hate inconsiderate drivers who never think to stop back a few feet to let someone out of a driveway or parking lot, but will gleefully take every such kindness that's ever extended to them.
I hate drivers who change lanes without signalling, because that's about the only way I can avoid hitting them when they suddenly swerve into my lane right in front of me.
I hate asshole drivers who zoom up past stopped or slowed traffic in lanes that are ending or closing, showing the world just how much more important their time is than everyone else's on the road.
I hate drivers who think it's OK to pass cyclists really, really close, since it's clear they'd have no chance to veer or stop if the cyclist had to avoid a pothole, and they'd never pass another motorized vehicle that closely.

Did I mention that I hate traffic?

3 comments:

Peter Janes said...

Hear hear!

Funny to read this after seeing an item on The National about a StatsCan report on commuting that was released today. The high points (from the Toronto Star's article):

"38 per cent of workers feel good about their commute as opposed to 30 per cent who feel bad about it.

"In fact, one out of six people said they like commuting a great deal, while about 3 per cent said it’s their favourite activity."

The most à propos finding, though, has to be this: "If you really want to enjoy commuting, get a bike".

Kimota94 aka Matt aka AgileMan said...

More than a third of those polled feel good about their commute? Well, maybe we can arrange to have someone try to sell Whole Life insurance to them or perform dental surgery on them while they're commuting, to make it even more enjoyable for them!

Anonymous said...

I thought in the article that most of them were GO Training it to work....so no traffic...sitting and reading a book for 1/2 hr....pretty mindless and easy.

Compared to watching other idiots drive a car badly....just makes you snarl....and that isn't a fun way to start a day.