Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Can 2007 Really Be A Month Old Already?

I haven't even had an opportunity to use my "I'm still writing 2006 on my cheques!" joke yet - the joke being, does anyone really write cheques anymore? - and here we are about to bid adieu to the first month of 2007 in a few hours. Truthfully, this month seemed to fly by. It doesn't seem like it was more than a couple weeks ago that I was at the end of my Christmas break and trying to jolly myself up at the prospect of going back to work, little realizing that what I thought I'd be doing in January would be turned on its ear by my boss that first day back. Could that really have been over four weeks ago? I guess the calendar doesn't lie.

One of my favourite things about February is that it's short! Given that it comes toward the latter part of winter each year, and that I'm not a big fan of snow and ice, it's somehow uplifting to know that we're only the shortest month of the year away from March, and the hope of Spring (or hope springing eternal). February's notable for having Valentine's Day at its centre, and back in my desperate-and-dateless days that used to be an annual reminder of what a loser I was in the romance department. Now, happily, Valentine's Day has become a much more pleasant occasion, since Vicki and I not only have each other, but we still observe this fabricated occasion - by exchanging a gift or two - despite being nearly twenty years into our relationship now. My only concern each year is what to buy Vicki, since I'm pretty tapped out, idea-wise, after the Christmas binge, and I still have wedding anniversary and her birthday in March to stock up for.

I've also got a lot of vacation time still built up, and my plan is to take one or two days off each month, between now and my five week break that I'm targetting for July/August. That should definitely help get me through February and March, while I wait for the thaw and the resumption of the biking ritual.

This also marks the end of Blogging Month Four, of course. I appear to be averaging somewhere around 140 posts per month over that period, or nearly 5 per day. That seems worth mentioning, occasionally.

I'm just sayin'!

No comments: