Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Counting Down To Lost's Return: 14 To Go

Two weeks from tonight, my favourite show of the last several years comes back from hiatus and begins a rerun-free stretch right through to the end of the season, sometime in mid-May. Leading up to its much-anticipated - by me, anyway! - return, I'm going to try to post an entry per day indicating some aspect of the show that makes it such a special treat.

The first thing I always think of about Lost is the character development. When we first realized that Kate had a shady path, I was shocked because up to that point I expected that she was just going to be your typical female lead/love interest role: good-looking, pure as the driven snow, and ready to be imperiled every week so the hero could save her. While I think hers was the most extreme case of writing characters against type, pretty much all of the castaways have turned out to be different than what we thought when we first met them. And that's like real life, if you ask me: most people are way more complex than whatever your first impression of them was, no matter how many two-dimensional personalities we're used to seeing on TV programs!

I actually find that most shows have become even more unwatchable afer getting used to the higher bar set by Lost, in terms of fleshed-out characters. Not that I needed another reason to not watch the vast majority of what passes for TV entertainment these days, though...

No comments: