Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Getting The Message Out About Talking More

I've been trying to think of ways, at work, to get more people talking about various topics that desperately need some discussion. I had hopes - and still do, to some degree - that my work blog might facilitate this, but I'm not sure enough people are reading it. I don't want to nag, or push, or become a broken record on this subject at work, mainly because I really hate when other people do that to me, so why would I exhibit that kind of behaviour myself? But on the other hand, there are some significant aspects of how we're doing with Agile that are causing concern at the executive level, and promoting conversation about them is the best solution I've been able to come up with so far (more heavy-handed approaches will inevitably follow, I imagine, if this doesn't work).

It's ironic to me that I get more two-way traffic - in terms of comments - and probably more visits, right here on my personal blog that I did very little to promote, than I do on my officially-endorsed work blog that should have a captive audience of 150+ readers! I've even toyed with the notion of putting little contests into the work blog, and offering up small prizes, just to encourage people to get in the habit of checking it out every day. One of the obstacles to this is that I'm not sure I have any sort of a budget these days, what with no direct reports and an ambiguous job description! I really need to chat about that with my boss one of these days!

Tomorrow I move cubes again, in preparation for the new, two- or three-month Feature Lead gig. My current cube is much smaller than the office I left behind, and the cube I'm going to makes the one I'm in now look big in comparison! Somehow I've gotten into a bad groove where my seating arrangements are concerned! On the positive side, I discovered today that I can now pack up my stuff in less than an hour! I'm getting very good at tossing stuff out to avoid having to move it. That's progress, of a sort, right?

2 comments:

cjguerra said...

Not reading stuff at work is a cultural problem. Someone is always creating stuff (notably Mr PeterJ) that is very interesting and useful and that no one will ever read.

I don't think that the work blog is being ignored so much as it is unknown. Like many things that are important and useful, one has to take action as soon as it is brought to their attention.

I vaguely remember something from around the time the blog was started, but I didn't even know there was a "work blog" until I set one up for myself. And I only did that because I wasn't tremendously busy. I've talked to several people that go through times were everything is very pressing so they start dropping activities like reading email that isn't specifically addressed to them.

So I'd point to people being busy, or not starting to read right away as the primary reasons. I know I've got a tab open and a comment idling until I get a chance to finish it.

Roopak Majmudar said...

I didn't know there was a work blog until AgileMan started his blog.

I think the problem is most people are having a hard time getting into the habit of checking out blogs, forums etc... at work.

I've known about the forums at work almost since they were created but I never got in the habit of regularly checking them. I just kept forgetting to check.

It's not until I set up the RSS feeds for both the forums and the work blogs (which was only in mid December) that I started following a lot more regularly.