Saturday, January 13, 2007

Video Reviews Reviewed

Two of the professional sports I follow - hockey and football - make fairly extensive use of video review of controversial plays. I kind of like how the NFL does it, where the coach can throw a challenge flag and then lose a timeout if the call isn't overturned, except that I think the rule needs tweaking to allow each coach one unsuccessful challenge per half, rather than just one challenge. But that's not where I'm going with this.

What I've noticed lately is that there are now two different approaches taken to video reviews by the networks broadcasting the game. Some will stay with the game while the review is underway, while others go to commercial and then come back for the ruling. I'm finding that, with the latter technique, I'll occasionally have forgotten what was even under review, because I'll have channel surfed somewhere else during that break and lost the thread. In fact, I might even miss the ruling by returning to the game a few seconds too late. Plus, the replays of whatever's under consideration, while sometimes a bit overdone, help me form my own opinion of what the right call should be.

So my bottom line is: it's a better viewing experience if they stay with the game during the review, showing us whatever angles and slo-mo shots they might have, and providing some continuity in the process. In case anyone cares, that is!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Greedy corporate bastards sneaking in extra commercials!

cjguerra said...

I've always liked the CBC and their coverage of plays under review (for hockey) just reinforces that. It's nice to be able to see what the "league officials" are seeing and make my own opinion.