Saturday, January 20, 2007

Signs You're Not Getting Enough Sleep

On Thursday this week, when I'd had several nearly-sleepless nights and a couple of mostly-standing and facilitating days, I experienced something that's probably typical among people who've been severely sleep deprived, although it was a first for me.

I was visiting one of my former teammates, on the first Feature Team I'd been involved with, and he was asking me what he should do with the feedback forms he'd gotten from the Retrospective he'd just lead. He said, jokingly, "Do I just, you know, deposit them?" and he waved his hand over his waste basket. We both laughed and then started talking about how demoralizing it'd be if you asked people to fill out a feedback sheet and then told them to drop them off in a box as they left the room, and the box was visibly situated over a shredder!

And then I said, "That reminds me, Vicki told me last night that she wanted to buy a personal shredder for our house..." But as the words were coming out of my mouth, despite me fully believing what I was saying as I'd started the sentence, I realized that I must've dreamed that conversation, because there was no way Vicki ever said any such thing! I don't know if I've ever before been so confused about the difference between a dream and reality, that many hours after waking up! It was a very strange experience!

1 comment:

Roopak Majmudar said...

That's very interesting that you've never been confused between a dream and reality. It's happened to me numerous times and I'm quite positive it's not only been at times when I've been sleep deprived.

I've notched it up to my dreams feeling very realistic. I also find my dreams have an impact on my mood when I wake up. If I had a positive experience in my dream, I wake up happy.