Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Exciting Comics Coming Out Tomorrow (Jan 9th Edition)

In all the confusion around which day comics would come out last week - they surprised everyone and came out on Wednesday, as if there'd been no holiday Monday to screw up the delivery trucks - I didn't get around to posting my exciting picks last week. But it's back for this week, albeit with a pretty small crop! See if these don't sound like just the thing to get the blood of any true comic fan racing...

Justice Society of America # 2 - The debut issue of this new JSA series was so very, very good that I'm probably going to be let down by what follows. But until that happens, I'm all-a-tingle at the thought of issue # 2 being in my hands later this week! Several wheels were put in motion in # 1 that I'm totally jazzed about, including: the apparent murder of one character, a new hyperactive next-gen superheroine, and the establishment of the JSA's very own Big Three (GL, Flash & Wildcat). Me want more!

Aliens & Predator Vs Superman & Batman # 1 (of 2) - This one has the potential to be a real stinker since it's not exactly high concept, but occcasionally we get a really entertaining crossover series between Dark Horse Comics (who publish comics based on the Aliens and Predator properties, among many other things) and DC, who of course own the World's Finest pair (and here I thought that was me!) The Batman Vs Predator mini-series (all three of them) from the 90s were generally good, and one of the two Superman Vs Aliens runs (the first one) was one of my favourite series at the time. This time they're going for a little two-on-two action, so it remains to be seen how well it'll play. Anytime you include Kal-El in the mix you run the risk of the reader going, "So... why doesn't he just use super-speed to round them all up and deposit them on some distant planet, again?" The best of these types of stories find some plausible answer to that; the others just ignore it!

Thunderbolts # 110 - Here's a Marvel title I've pretty much never bothered with. I think I bought # 1, but it may have not even been for this series, but rather the one before it (I've long since lost track). Anyway, the only reason I'm not only planning to pick # 110 up, but more impressively including it on this list, is that it features a new creative team and new direction. Thunderbolts have always been a group of super-villains pretending to be heroes, who (I guess) ended up becoming heroes in the process or something (did I mention I haven't followed it?) Tying in to the current Civil War mini-series, this title will now feature a completely different set of villains, including Venom, Bullseye and the Green Goblin, working for the government as enforcers of the Superhero Registration Act, as they hunt down unregistered rogues like Captain America, Spider-Man and Luke Cage (and, well, Rogue, I suppose!) That's an intriguing concept for what to do with the series, but I still wasn't hooked until I learned that Warren Ellis would be the new writer on the series! He's got enough street cred with me right now that I'll at least try just about anything he puts his pen to in the comic world.

No comments: