Sunday, January 07, 2007

Least Favourite Comic Covers Part 2


Once again, I'm highlighting a type of cover I don't like. In the case of Amazing Spider-Man # 537 here, I like the Ron Garney image just fine, except for the one thing that's horribly wrong with it. And it's not the Civil War trade dress that chews up the bottom half of it, because that actually serves a valuable purpose to those seeking out Civil War tie-ins (like me).

This comic came out just a few days ago, and I read it only a few minutes ago. Until I read it, I didn't know that it was an example of another of my least favourite cover types: the misleading inclusion of a character! You can see that Spidey, Captain America and the Punisher are prominently featured right there. And the first two are huge ingredients of the story to be found behind that cover, so no problem there. But the Punisher appears in exactly two panels inside, with no dialogue, and essentially in the background of a group shot as a bunch of characters walk along in a line (certainly no shooting of big guns to be found anywhere)! So imagine if you were a big Punisher fan and you bought this comic because of the promise of a major Frank Castle appearance presented right there on the shelf of your comic store... only to read it, and find out it's almost a total cheat, at least in that regard (good story otherwise, though)!

There've been lots of examples of this sort of thing over the years, but rather than having to go look for a good instance, one literally landed in my lap just in time for this blog entry!

No comments: