Monday, December 11, 2006

The Bike Repair Update

I had my bike in for repairs for a week, as described previously, and went in to pick it up over the weekend. In asking whether they'd been able to determine what was causing the grinding/squeaking sound I'd been hearing, I was told that I'd broken my axle. Since I'd just replaced an axle a couple months ago, at that very same shop, I naturally inquired, "How'd I manage to break the new axle you put in not that long ago? I'm not that strong!" At which point the mechanic informed me that this time I'd snapped the rear axle, whereas previously it had been the front axle - that joins the pedal assembly - that my aggressive uphill climbs had wrecked. I really am hard on bikes!

So that work, along with a cleaning and adjustment of my rear derailer (the other issue I'd taken it in for) came to less than $50, fitting nicely within the remainder of my Wellness allowance for the year. Looking at the forecast for the rest of this week, and the rate at which the snow is melting, it's just possible I may be able to get one or two more rides in this year. But I'm not counting on it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

but no pressure because you already completed your goal! btw, is this going to be a recurring goal for 2007 as well, or is it a "been there, accomplished that goal" thing?