Thursday, January 04, 2007

Favourite Comic Covers Part 12


Time to wrap this series up, since I need to send in my vote for DC's online poll tonight, and an even dozen is a pretty good set of favourite covers. I'll see if I can start up Hinckley's idea of showing some Least Favourite Covers sometime over the weekend.

Anyway, here's my only fave cover on a book written by the incomparable Alan Moore (at least in this series!) This is a Batman one-shot called Batman: The Killing Joke, written by Moore and featuring amazing artwork, including the cover, by Brian Bolland. The image of Joker holding the camera to his face and imploring the target of his attention to "Smile" is so delightfully deceptive, because it's such a recognizably harmless action that we've all seen and engaged in. When you read the story, though, and see the context for it, you're chilled to the bone! And of course Bolland is one of the greatest comic artists ever, who doesn't do nearly enough interior work to satisfy me!

If any of the DC covers I showed here particularly caught your fancy, feel free to e-mail in a vote for it to: DCNATIONCOVERS@DCCOMICS.COM. Deadline for votes is 12:00 am on Friday, which either means midnight Thursday night, or midnight Friday night. I voted on Thursday evening to ensure my vote was counted!

For those not familiar with where DC ends and Marvel starts, the DC covers are the one shown here (Batman: The Killing Joke), as well as Green Lantern/Green Arrow # 85, Wonder Woman # 199, Avengers/JLA # 2 (sort of), Justice League of America (Vol I) # 92, Crisis on Infinite Earths # 7 and Superman Vs Muhammad Ali.

No comments: