Thursday, February 22, 2007

Change Is Bad!

Don't people understand that?!

OK, not all change is bad, but it's always more noticable when it is! Insomniac Games just altered the online interface for Resistance: Fall of Man, ostensibly in order to "give players more control and increase variety." One change they made I like: you can now select "Team Deathmatch" or "Team Objective" instead of having them lumped together under "Team-Based", as it was before. The old way, you'd never know what you were going to get until the match was selected for you. I much prefer Team Deathmatch to any of the objective-style games, so now I can just play that, if I want.

But they made a more far-reaching change that so far doesn't sit well with me at all: they've opened the Deathmatch style up to include Chimera vs Chimera, in addition to human vs human, but you don't know which you're getting until the game starts! It used to always be human vs human, and either Deathmatch (by far the most common) or Conversion (very rare). So this meant that the vast majority of times, it was human against human in a Deathmatch, which is what I want to play almost all of the time. Now, though, I'm as likely to get Chimera vs Chimera, which isn't nearly as much fun (for me) and so I'm going to end up quitting out of a lot of Deathmatches or playing a type that isn't as appealing. All they had to do to avoid this was include a step where you indicate which type you want, and this could've been a good change! This may even drive me to using the search function more, instead of letting the game find me a match.. which was oh so convenient up until now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When we played last night as Chimera vs. Chimera, I had no idea, AT ALL, throughout the ENTIRE match, who was on my team and who wasn't. I could NOT tell the difference. At least when we played Human vs. Human, one side was wearing the same uniform. But I couldn't see anything distinctly different from one Chimera to the next...

I therefore used your theory -- kill them all and let God sort it out.