Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Exciting Comics Coming Out Tomorrow (Feb 20th Edition)

A couple very exciting comics are coming out tomorrow, and that always makes Wednesday special!

Brave and the Bold (Vol II) # 1 - A classic DC title from the Silver Age returns, once again featuring team-up stories every issue! It's the creative team that's so appealing to me, though, as it's Mark Waid and George Perez, two of my favourites. Waid's the comic writer several of us fan-types go up against each year in Chicago (Silver Age Trivia Contest), and Perez is legendary for his work on Avengers, Justice League of America, New Teen Titans, Wonder Woman, and of course JLA/Avengers! B&B now affords him the chance to play around with tons of DC characters as each issue will showcase a different pair of heroes, along with guest stars aplenty. I've been eagerly awaiting the launch of this title since it was announced a year or more ago!

Civil War # 7 - I wrote about this last week so there's not much more to say, except that rumours about it have already started to circulate and I'm doing my best to ignore them all!

Legion of Monsters: Werewolf By Night # 1 - Possibly the weirdest title I've put on this list in awhile, it's really only appearing here because of the artist: Greg Land! He first came to my attention when he was drawing Birds of Prey, a lightweight DC title, several years ago. Based on how much I enjoyed his work there, I gave his next stop a try, despite it being a swashbuckling comic called Sojourn (which I quickly became very attached to), produced by the now-defunct Crossgen Comics. His art is really quite gorgeous, and I've followed him onto titles I'd not have bothered with otherwise. As is the case with the aforementioned Mr Perez, Land's work pretty much never disappoints. And it's not like Werewolf By Night, as a character, is that much of a stretch for me.. I have a complete rum of the 1970s Marvel series, after all! (Greg is also the artist on the current 9-issue miniseries that's pitting the Marvel Ultimate universe heroes against the Squadron Supreme, by the way.. which I would've happily bought even without his involvement!)

New Avengers: Illuminati # 2 - Tying into Civil War once again, this mini-series retroactively implicates Tony Stark and group as having had shadowy involvement in classic Marvel Universe events of the past 40 years, including the Kree/Skrull War and who knows what else. Well, I guess I'll know, after I get this latest issue!

No comments: