Saturday, February 24, 2007

A Red Letter Day

Today, I won not one, not two, not three, not four, but five different Resistance: Fall of Man online matches! My previous record for wins in one day was two, so this represents quite the aberration.

What makes the day's events even more unusual is that one of the wins was on a map I'd never won on and had only played on once (Thames), and another was in a Conversion match, which I never play. It's a last man standing mode where each player initially spawns as a human. After you die once you come back as a Chimera, and then if you die, you go into Observe mode while the remaining players battle it out. The player who's still around when all of the others have been killed twice wins. This particular game was on Nottingham, which is a map I know really well from playing on it in dozens of Deathmatches.

So as soon as I spawned, instead of looking for someone to kill, I ran to what I figured would be a good hiding place. Once there, I watched the updates appear on screen: "8 players remaining", then 7, then 6, then 5. Around that time, a Chimera found me, but I managed to kill him without dying. "4 players remaining" appeared on screen, then 3, then 2. I could see the other player running around from my vantage point but it took him awhile to spot me. Eventually he did, and came running towards me. Since he was Chimera and I was still human, it should've been easy for him to kill me, but I guess he wasn't particularly good at playing as a Chimera. We went toe-to-toe, and we each managed to kill the other simultaneously, at which point the "Kimota94 Won The Game" message came on-screen. As Vicki said, it was a pretty boring way to win a game, but then again it was the easiest 200 pts I've ever gotten!

No comments: