Monday, February 26, 2007

Growing Up Simpsons

Finally got around to watching last week's Simpsons episode, which was in the form of a documentary entitled "Growing Up Springfield". I immediately recognized that it was a satire on the British Up Series that I raved about here, which of course piqued my interest more than most episodes. I thought it was a good send-up, though it missed some great opportunities for lampooning: it didn't really highlight much in the way of cultural differences, which the Up Series is largely based upon, and it didn't repeat the earlier footage again and again, which can sometimes be annoying in the documentary series. But I loved the unexpected twist in the tale of "Eleanor, the doctor-lawyer" who mysteriously transforms into the crazy Cat Lady during one of the 8 year gaps!

No comments: